Bench Dedicated to Daniel McGlynn
If you’re walking along Wyoming Avenue near the middle school, stop and rest for a moment on the new park bench dedicated in memory of Daniel Richard McGlynn, a 20-year veteran of the Wyoming Police Department. McGlynn served as a DARE instructor and was also president of the Wyoming Police Association. The bench was donated to the City by his family.
Historical Markers Installed
New historical markers in various spots around the City also invite you to stroll through Wyoming for a tour. Here’s what to look for:
Business District Marker
Dedicated in late August, the Business District Marker tells the story of how Wyoming Avenue became the center of business activity in Wyoming as the importance of the railroad grew. In addition, early Wyoming residents with businesses in Lockland would drive the route each day to work, making it a hub of activity. The marker was donated by the Jason, Sarah, Tyler and Dylan Greene.
Placed near the entrance to Stearns Woods from Glenway Avenue, this marker explains the history of the property and the story of the home of former Wyoming mayor Roderick Barney that once stood at the location. Barney was instrumental in establishing the Wyoming Water Works and in starting a citywide tree planting program. The marker was donated in honor of Kate and Henry Bond.
Dedicated in November 2016, this marker explains the history of the statue that honors those from Wyoming who helped with the war effort, civilians as well as soldiers, in World War I. The marker was donated by the Wyoming Woman’s Club in honor of its 100th anniversary last year. The club also commissioned the original statue and dedicated it on the seventh anniversary of Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1926.
Lockland-Wyoming Train Station Marker
The addition of train transportation to downtown Cincinnati in 1851 revolutionized suburbs like Wyoming. Placed at Crescent Park near the location of the original Wyoming train depot, this marker tells the story of how the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad brought growth and prosperity to Wyoming as access to downtown Cincinnati became easier and more reliable. This marker was donated by the Weckenbrock family.
More historical markers are planned for locations at the Wyoming Presbyterian Church, the former home of Robert Reily, Wyoming Middle School, and the former firehouse at 400 Wyoming Ave. All markers are paid for by donations. For more information about how to donate a marker, contact Sherry Sheffield of the Wyoming Historical Society, email@example.com.
For information about how to donate a bench or other memorial to the City, contact the City at 513-821-7600.