Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, and the events of recent weeks surrounding the coronavirus certainly meet these criteria.
Amidst all the dire warnings and stark news of spreading germs and temporary business closures or reduced services, a Wyoming group has put together a glimmer of hope for those most affected. They will offer meals delivered from local restaurants or essential groceries from Kroger.
Called Wyoming Carryout Connection, this new initiative is a free home delivery service from Wyoming’s neighborhood restaurants or nearby Kroger stores. The meals or groceries purchased by customers through this service will be delivered by volunteers. In addition, individuals or families suffering from income and/or job loss can request free restaurant meals from the service, which will be funded through donations. Deliveries are available to Wyoming and neighboring communities. More than 150 local residents have already signed up to make deliveries.
Wyoming resident and city council member Zach Green, who is one of the individuals who spearheaded this effort, says the idea is to help those in need during the required phase of social distancing, and to support city restaurants that are part of the collateral damage of this once-in-a-lifetime event.
“This situation is taking an emotional toll as well as a physical one,” says Green. “Simple acts of kindness are going to be so important to keep our spirits up. This is one way to reach out to those who can’t leave their homes easily and to help our local restaurants during this difficult time.”
In addition to the food, meal deliveries will also include artwork and words of encouragement created by Wyoming students, who are also stuck at home during this period as schools remain closed. Green hopes the messages from students brighten the day for anyone receiving a meal and remind them of better times to come.
If you need a meal, here’s how to get one:
- Click here https://www.wyomingrecreationfoundation.org/ for information about how to order a meal and schedule a free delivery.
- If you need essentials from Kroger Click List, click here https://www.wyomingrecreationfoundation.org/. Your order will be picked up for you and delivered to your home. You must be enrolled in Kroger’s Click List to use this service.
Want to help, here’s how:
- If you or your company would be willing to volunteer to make deliveries, click here https://www.wyomingrecreationfoundation.org/,
- If your child wants to create art or a heartfelt message to be included with the meals, use the link above for more information.
- If you or your company has home essentials or non perishable items to donate to those in need, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cash donations are urgently needed to help supply local families in need with essentials or restaurant meals, click here https://www.wyomingrecreationfoundation.org/ for how to donate.
For more information about Wyoming’s participating restaurants and their menus and the nearby grocery stores included, go to the group’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/wyomingcarryoutconnection/?ref=share .